Sustainable Careers & Skills
A partnership project with Solihull MBC and Solihull College & University Centre to help students interested in careers in sustainability. The project was led by the Sustainability Officers and involved students, local businesses, universities and other organisations.
This library of resources has been produced and made accessible for students to learn more about sustainability careers. In addition to the online resources a series of online events were hosted to launch the resources.
The project ideas were developed from the EAUC sustainability careers guide 2019
A wide variety of resources collated by Sarah Lardner can also be found in this Google Doc
(These are very useful resources to refer to)
Who are the resources aimed at?
- Students in higher education (16-25 year olds – secondary school/sixth form students).
- Students that are making course/career choices
- Careers leaders, staff interested in sustainability and climate change
The main aims are to;
- Provide help to students to make informed career and study choices.
- Increase student awareness of careers in sustainability
- Create and promote relevant careers information and career materials for students in local schools and university / college settings.
(1) Careers in sustainability
Video job profiles
Examples of ‘sustainability jobs’ for students that are interested in working in the sustainability area but aren’t sure in what role or organisation. They show jobs where sustainability is a main responsibility and focus on a variety of career paths where sustainability is more immediately obvious.
Sustainability at Solihull Council
Greener Solihull, including Climate Change Prospectus
Careers support in Solihull
Life Ready Programme details …….
Green Jobs Gap / Low Carbon Future
Interesting documents from a variety of organisations
- Friend of the Earth Report (FoE)
An emergency plan on green jobs for young people | Policy and insight (FOE)
- Available here: www.greenerjobsalliance.co.uk/breaking-news-2/
- Sustainability West Midlands links
(2) Degrees, education and courses
This resource is about University and colleges courses that include sustainability.
Recorded interviews with course leaders …….
Recordings of students sharing experiences of their courses …….
Other interesting documents….
(3) Skills, volunteering and extra curricular
This resources is about extra-curricular activities, including volunteering opportunities that can help with gaining further skills in sustainability
Benefits of joining ‘green groups’ in college / university
- Solihull Greener Schools Award (Education for Sustainable Development, Solihull MBC) including: Eco-team activities, resources, global goals
- Climate Reality
- Youth Climate Strikers
Make Your Mark
- CAVA – Community And Voluntary Action
- Love Solihull – join a community litter picking group or set up your own
- Warwickshire Wildlife Trust
Wilder Futures Project -Recruiting for volunteer Young Adult Ambassadors, aged between 18 and 35, who are committed to bring about change to protect the natural world
Other interesting documents / web links
EAUC – The Alliance for Sustainability Leadership in Education documents
Climate Action Toolkit
Climate Action Road Map
Future Graduate Skills Study:
SOS Research Reports – Education and employment
SOS Sustainability skills survey
HEPI – Higher Education Policy Institute Report:
Beyond business as usual: Higher education in the era of climate change.