26th Conference of the Parties (COP26) summit
What is COP26?
COP26 is the next annual UN climate change conference. COP stands for Conference of the Parties and the summit will be attended by countries that signed the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change – a treaty that came into force in 1994. This is the 26th COP summit and will be hosted between the UK and Italy. The conference is due to be held in Glasgow from 1-21 November 2021, a year later than planned due to delays caused by COVID.
Why is it important/what can it offer schools
It’s important to empower young people and schools to give them confidence to share their voice and to communicate the urgency of climate change to elected representatives. We will support schools to access resources and deliver event/s for schools to participate in. There are various opportunities coming up to engage schools in the lead up to COP26. Mechanisms include getting schools involved in educational activities that are being promoted nationally particularly working with key partner organisations such as InterClimate Network.
Delivery of activities (by ourselves or in partnership)
For further details on any of the following activities contact email@example.com
Spring / Summer Term
- Creative Earth Competition (ended)
UN COP26 art competition in collaboration with WWF (deadline April 2020)
St Patricks art work
- CAFOD-Eyes of the World Campaign for COP
Workshops are available to Catholic Schools in the lead up to COP26. Webpage links to resources
- Thinking further-Careers and Skills project
A series of online webinars took place in April, a variety of resources and sustainability job profiles available here:
Sustainable Schools Virtual Conference (25th November 2021)
Session 1 – Net Zero Action Plan – how will schools fit in?
NetZero Action Plan
Atkins Resources and Materials
School Energy Efficiency
Heat Network Contractors
Solihull Catering Services Session 2 – Greener Schools Award celebration
Mode Shift Stars for Travel Planning
BBC The Regenerators
Sharmans Cross Level 2
- COP26-Climate Conference for Solihull Secondary Schools
Solihull schools Climate Conference 2021 (draft)
To take place virtually on Thursday 11 November to time with COP26 meeting of the UN in Glasgow.
- Net Zero Action Plan consultation
Young people opportunities for involvement TBC
- Youth Climate Action Survey
Climate action survey flyer landscape
We want to hear from young people aged 11-25
- Connected Classrooms Global Learning workshops
UK and overseas partners will collaborate on a pupil project based on SDG13 Climate Action and COP. A cluster of 8 Solihull schools are involved with webinars taking place with inernational partner schools in the autumn term.
- Votes for Schools debate packs (available September)
Working with UNICEF to collate children’s views ready for COP26.
Votes for schools COP26 article
- Ashden – Let’s Get Zero campaign (sign up to campaign before November 2021)
Ashden to showcase schools going for zero at COP26 and the Government will be asked to respond.
Ashden Lets Go Zero
- Hope for the Future School COP workshop (Date TBC)
Hope for the Future flyer
Hope ft Future offer free climate Q&A sessions between school students and their local politicians (please see attached flyer). They are offering a teacher workshop on 29th September (4-5.30pm) so you can find out more and decide whether you would like to get students involved. The session with students and politicians will take place at a later date.
HFTF Youth webpage
Other resources include;
- Our Climate Our Future – COP26 school material created by Twinkl in collaboration with WWF and partners and endorsed by the UK Government
- InterClimate Network resource ‘Bringing COP 26 to your classroom’ resource
Climate Voices 2021 – two virtual resources
ICN Climate action survey resource pack
- Together for our Planet – Schools Pack
- Wave of Hope
- Great Big Green Week (18-26 September) Climate Coalition
- How will you Reboot the Future –“ to empower students to reignite their sense of optimism and hope for future of our planet as we approach the COP26” includes access to Jonathon Porritt’s book, the short film and campaign support materials
- Youth 4 Climate Educational Toolkit
- Climate Coalition https://static1.squarespace.com/static/58b40fe1be65940cc4889d33/t/5e2095ce4eb64331e582c4a5/1579193823536/Show+the+Love+Schools+Pack+2020
- Climate Changemakers activity – World’s Largest Lesson https://medies.net/climate-change-makers-campaign/
- The Climate Connection