Ofsted Early Years Curriculum Workshops – sign up to this early years event.
February 4, 2019
Invite for early years engagement events – curriculum workshops Thursday 7th March at the Birmingham Conference and Events Centre
Ofsted, are developing a new Education Inspection Framework (EIF) for September 2019. They launched the formal consultation on the proposals in January 2019. You can have your say on the proposals by completing the on-line consultation.
HMCI is clear that the ‘curriculum’, the educational choices we make for children, will be at the heart of the new framework. We use that word in the current early years inspection handbook, but have come up with a working definition so we are clear about what this means.
- The EYFS (educational programmes) provides the curriculum framework that leaders build on to decide what they intend children to learn and develop.
- Leaders and practitioners decide how they will implement the curriculum so children make progress in the seven areas of learning – we will keep our definition of ‘teaching’.
- Leaders and practitioners evaluate the impact of the curriculum by checking what children know and can do.
The decisions we make about what we want very young children to learn and develop are so important – we are talking about the experiences we provide, the games we play, the words we use, the stories we read and the songs we sing and everything else!
Ofsted recently focused a training session for inspectors on what the ‘curriculum’ means for early years. Practitioner inspectors said they found this useful and thought provoking. Therefore, Ofsted are keen to share this session with local authorities and registered early years providers as well as answer some questions about proposals for the EIF.
Ofsted would like to invite you to attend an Early Years Curriculum Workshops, which are taking place on various dates and locations. All details, including timings, can be found during registration. Please register for these events here.
Here is the agenda for this 2 ½ hour workshop.
- What does the ‘curriculum’ mean for early years?
- Distinguishing the ‘curriculum’ from teaching and assessment.
- What is knowledge? (considering the building blocks of knowledge children need to learn)
- Proposals for the new EIF – the quality of education.
- Busting some of those ‘myths’ about inspection.