Health and safety in education
Site and Premises Security and Site Safety including fire risk assessment, fire drills, and first aid
Our health and safety policy outlines our procedures in ensuring the site and premises are safe and secure.
This includes our risk assessment procedures, including:
- The safety of staff, pupils and visitors to the school site.
- Fencing and boundary security.
- Procedures around the security of external doors (such as the external kitchen door) and access to the site.
- Storage of hazardous substances.
We ensure and annual fire risk assessment takes place and any actions are swiftly addressed. Regular fire evacuation drills take place and logged on the fire evacuation log. Any actions identified through fire evacuation drills are addressed.
We will undertake to ensure compliance with the relevant legislation with regard to the provision of first aid for pupils, staff and visitors and will make sure that procedures are in place to meet that responsibility.
Driving at Work
Our driving at work policy provides staff with clear guidance on driving at work.
Our educational visits policy provides staff with guidance on planning educational visits and undertaking risk assessments.
Supporting Staff Working in Difficult Situations
We recognise that staff working in the school who have become involved with a safeguarding issue which they may find stressful and upsetting. By ensuring clear management oversight of work by senior leaders, we will ensure staff appropriate support in relation to their work.
We will further support staff as necessary, by providing an opportunity to talk through their anxieties with their line manager or other appropriate member of staff, and to seek further support as appropriate. This could include:
- Work related stress risk assessment undertaken by the line manager. The Solihull MBC health and safety team can support in the creation of a work related stress risk assessment.
- Access to the Employee Assistance Programme – CIC 0800 085 1376, email@example.com, well-online.co.uk – username: sbclogin Password: wellbeing
- Referral to Occupational Health for one-to-one counselling.
In the event of a violent incident the violence and aggression at work policy http://intranet/Coredocs/Healthandsafety/PoliciesGuidance.aspx and risk assessment should be followed.